Its taken a couple of years to do something with the pictures taken on this visit as information on the site was hard to find as it is located on the outskirts of the village of Wick but to avoid people confusing it with the RAF base in scotland it takes its name from another village Comberton.Another example of this was RAF Carterton, Oxon which was changed to RAF Brize Norton to avoid confusion with RAF Cardington.Stories of the name being changed because of supplies coming to the wrong base are themselves are little more than rumour and here say, With out any input from some who served at the site these statements are pure fiction.
This was the only operational Ground Controlled Interception (GCI)radar station established in the West midlands and was one of only five inland radar stations activated in the spring of 1941 as a response to the luftwaffe threat.The first equipment to arrive on site was an intermediate transportable type.In 1943 RAF Comberton was upgraded to a final GCI station with type 7 radar capable of multiple aircraft controlling, long range and better height finding capabilites.A brick built operations room and a number of ancillary buildings were added in 1943.
Post war the site was updated as part of the ROTOR system. An additional above ground ops building with eight concrete aerial plinths was added.Today there is no trace of this postwar building.The site was on care and maintenance in the late 1950s and was closed some time after that.There are also remains of the site accommodation which are located at Vandyke court.Later a purpose built camp was provided at nearby Pinvin.Where a water tower still stands.
Historical information from 20th century defences in Britain, The west Midlands area by Colin Jones, Bernard Lowry and Mick Wilks.
Cold war :Building for Nuclear Confrontation by Wayne Cocroft and Roger J.C Thomas, Edited by P.S Barnwell.
Site access by permission of the land owner.
Ops building built in 1943 and known as the 'Happidrome'
Internal views of the 'Happidrome'
Rotor period RADAR Plinths of which four remain on the site
Stand-by set house