Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

  1. #21
    Registered User fountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    staffordshire
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by oildrum
    It was reported that the tower wasn't "safe" to keep the bells in & would cost too much to put in a condition to allow them to be rung. A couple of other churches have offered new places for the bells, which would meanappears to that they would be used again, although not in Hanley. There was uproar at this suggestion by some, citing the fact that they are memorials, but personally I think moving them to somewhere that will allow them to be rung again is a better tribute than simply "displaying" then in the restored church or where ever.
    Oildrum appears to know nothing about either the bells or the circumstances surrounding the church of St.John The Evangelist in the High Street, Hanley.

  2. #22
    Moderator oildrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,034
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 565 Times in 372 Posts
    Rep Power
    756

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by fountain
    Oildrum appears to know nothing about either the bells or the circumstances surrounding the church of St.John The Evangelist in the High Street, Hanley.
    Well over to you then fountain to put me right
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing"

  3. The following member has thanked oildrum for this post:

    fountain (28th September 2011)

  4. #23
    Moderator mikejee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 91 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    188

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    I would agree with Oildrum. If Fountain truely knows more, then he should tell us, not just implicitly criticise

  5. The following member has thanked mikejee for this post:

    oildrum (27th July 2011)

  6. #24
    Senior Member BereniceUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    5,001
    Thanks
    745
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 902 Posts
    Rep Power
    1630

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by fountain
    the church of St.John The Evangelist in the High Street, Hanley.
    The High Street? Where's that?

    Was that the former name of Town Road?

  7. #25
    Moderator oildrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,034
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 565 Times in 372 Posts
    Rep Power
    756

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by BereniceUK
    The High Street? Where's that?

    Was that the former name of Town Road?
    Yes it was changed along with many others in the 1950's. Not sure if fountain knows that
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing"

  8. The following member has thanked oildrum for this post:

    fountain (28th September 2011)

  9. #26
    Senior Member BereniceUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    5,001
    Thanks
    745
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 902 Posts
    Rep Power
    1630

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by oildrum
    Yes it was changed along with many others in the 1950's.
    Getting off-topic here but that's just silly. Calling it High Street makes more sense than Town Road. I suppose the city centre planners wanted to get away from the concept of a street with lots of busy shops to....a street with lots of empty shops.

  10. The following member has thanked BereniceUK for this post:

    fountain (28th September 2011)

  11. #27
    Moderator oildrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,034
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 565 Times in 372 Posts
    Rep Power
    756

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by BereniceUK
    Getting off-topic here but that's just silly. Calling it High Street makes more sense than Town Road. I suppose the city centre planners wanted to get away from the concept of a street with lots of busy shops to....a street with lots of empty shops.
    According to thepotteries.org because the 6 towns had grown independently there was duplication of street names, with there being 12 High Streets
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing"

  12. #28
    Senior Member BereniceUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    5,001
    Thanks
    745
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 902 Posts
    Rep Power
    1630

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Seems odd that, while they wanted Hanley to be thought of as being the city centre and not just one of the Six Towns, they would change 'High Street' to 'Town Road'! Why not Federation or City Road?

  13. The following member has thanked BereniceUK for this post:

    fountain (3rd August 2011)

  14. #29
    Moderator oildrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,034
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 565 Times in 372 Posts
    Rep Power
    756

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by BereniceUK
    Seems odd that, while they wanted Hanley to be thought of as being the city centre and not just one of the Six Towns, they would change 'High Street' to 'Town Road'! Why not Federation or City Road?
    Theres a Federation road in Burslem & was one in Hartshill (now Ballon Street ) And of course City Road in Fenton. But as you say for the "city centre" not to have a High Street Well thats the Potteries for you
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing"

  15. The following member has thanked oildrum for this post:

    fountain (3rd August 2011)

  16. #30
    Senior Member BereniceUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Posts
    5,001
    Thanks
    745
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 902 Posts
    Rep Power
    1630

    Default Re: St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

    Quote Originally Posted by BereniceUK
    April 6th last year

    New clockfaces




  17. The following 2 members have thanked BereniceUK for this post:

    fountain (16th August 2011),oildrum (15th August 2011)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. St John's Church, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
    By mortaldecay in forum Churches, chapels etc
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th October 2011, 19:40
  2. St John's Church, Hanley
    By BereniceUK in forum War memorials
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th April 2011, 22:58
  3. St John's Church, Trent Vale
    By BereniceUK in forum War memorials
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th April 2011, 05:08
  4. Store in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
    By BereniceUK in forum Miscellaneous heritage
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th July 2010, 23:45
  5. Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
    By BereniceUK in forum Miscellaneous heritage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd July 2010, 05:24

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •