In the 1930s, Meir was expanding rapidly with the creation of new housing estates on each side of Sandon Road and it was felt that it was essential to have a greater Methodist presence in this area. The decision was therefore made to build a small chapel to serve the new residents.
The first stone of Sandon Road Methodist chapel was laid in 1933 and the chapel held its opening service on June 13th 1934. It became part of the Longton Mission Circuit.
The building, situated half way up Sandon Road and standing well back from the road, had a friendly, warm and family atmosphere. There was a schoolroom for the thriving Sunday school started by two sisters from Zion church in Longton. People still remember the wonderful Sunday school outings that were organised each year and the singing of scholars at the Sunday school anniversary.
The church proudly celebrated its 50th birthday in 1984 when one of the founding members, living abroad, presented a new flag to the Boys Brigade Company to mark the occasion.
Sandon Road chapel was a real family church and its members were devoted and loyal but, as happened at both Meir and Normacot, a fall in numbers, an aging congregation and inevitable demands for money for repairs and to meet new standards imposed a real burden and on 8th April 2003 after several years of struggle, the unanimous vote of the Church Council was to amalgamate with Meir and Normacot churches with the proviso that worship should continue at Sandon Road until the end of 2003.
Evening worship therefore continued to take place at Sandon Road chapel for all three congregations until the final service on 25th July 2004 when the church was packed. It is touching to note that many members bought Sunday school chairs as souvenirs of a dearly loved church.
Today the chapel still stands looking rather forlorn and boarded up and there are still questions about how the site will be utilised in the future.
Our History - Broadway Methodist Church