Alongside the Trent & Mersey canal at Sandon is this recently (6 years ago) re-discovered 1790's kiln. The site was & still is part of the Sandon Estate, with the kiln being used for flint (for the pottery industry) & limestone (for building & fertilizer) with all raw materials being brought in by the canal.
Work is ongoing to uncover & survey the site, with plans to have it scheduled & open to the public.
Few pics from HOD event today (also open on sunday afternoon):
Kiln seen from the canal (no wonder it remained undiscovered for so long
Seen from the road with workers cottages in the foreground
The impressive front to the kiln
Trough from when kiln was used as a pigsty
Top of the kiln
More ifo available at Staffordshire Industrial Archaeology Sandon lime kiln project